Friday, February 1, 2013

My first coloring book

Transparent, watercolor and ink
So I drew all these with Sharpie over the Christmas break, and I painted them in with watercolor once I realized I had basically made my own big-person coloring book. I also would like to point out that I freehand beveled all this matboard. This is also why I have yet to finish writing my master's thesis proposal...
Tonight we are hosting the first ever! Biology Graduate Students' First Friday on campus in the biology building. Lots of professional-quality work from our own cohort of bio kids!


 Cathedral, watercolor and ink

"Ode to the Ptarmigan", ink and origami paper, poem by Dana Fjare

Alchemists every one, transforming woody willow twigs
To feathers of purest white (to match their snowy diggs)
Or sometimes brown, depending on the season
(But really, a ptarmigan needs no reason!)
Hares can also change their clothing seasonally
But lack your exquisite fractal geometry
And you could wing to the blue sky and fly
If you found the motivation to try
Mostly, you like to run round and round in circles
Giving hunters a dizzy chase 'til they turn purple!









 Against Entropy, watercolor and ink, drawing by Dana Fjare and watercolor by Dashiell Feierabend


 We are broke graduate students, so we had to improvise with the frames. Thus we turned to what has never failed to supply us throughout history - the forest. Well, I repurposed some origami paper I had left over from my failed attempt to become a self-taught origami artist. The most exuberant were some birch and willow twig frames for Dash's prints.



 Medusa, watercolor and ink


 A wall of bunnies

Spring(ing) Hare, watercolor and ink

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dana! These are fantastic. I know a couple that need to decorate their new house.

    ReplyDelete