Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Caribou Antlers and Caribou

The caribou antlers have been accumulating in the house for a few months, and so it felt like time to paint!

 Aurora antler, acrylic


I was impressed with how persistently the wolves followed the caribou around out on the refuge. I made two "haiku" for this antler. One is for the caribou and one is for the wolves.

 Hunting From Sunrise to Sunset, acrylic

Caribou
Sunrise demons
always in eye reflected
one step behind us.




Wolves
Black winter phantoms 
teeth winking fur singing
chasing the wind now.


When thinking of designs, I try to imagine what the caribou see and encounter every day. Lichens are essential to caribou survival in the arctic during the winter. Here at the Refuge, they seem to survive on wetland grasses.

I Like Lichens, A Lot, acrylic



The Watchers I

The Watchers II

The Watchers III

No comments:

Post a Comment